The Little Cottage in Islay
Carraig Fhada Farm
Isle of Islay
The satnav and google map etc. don’t work for the actual location.
There are two common ways to go to Islay
- Taking a ferry from Kennecraig to Port Askaig /Port Ellen (See the website, “Caledonian MacBrayne“)
- Taking a flight from Glasgow airport to Islay (See the website, “Flybe“)
Arriving at Port Askaig;
- Follow the signposts to Bowmore and Port Ellen (A846) until you come into Bowmore town centre. (Please ignore the sign post of B8016 to Port Ellen, just before you come into Bowmore). Continue towards Port Ellen from Bowmore on A846.
- After the airport and the Machrie Hotel, the road of A846, bends to sharply to the left to Port Ellen. Come off A846 at the corner of the bend (i.e., go straight ahead, you see the sign post to Mull of OA just before the corner on your left hand ) and go to straight to the single track road until the road ends. Then turn right. (However, if you miss the sign post to Mull of OA, please do not worry. You can continue driving on the A846 to Port Ellen and you will see DIAGEO maltings factory. (you may see the name Islay Malting) Then, just after the factory, you see a sign post of Mull of OA on your left side. Please turn right and take the road. The road becomes single track. Now, you can follow the No.3)
- Continue down the road and just after the woods the road bends sharply to the left (the bend has signposts to Mull of Oa – follow the left bend towards Mull of Oa. Drive across the small bridge and you will find a cemetery on your left side. Just after the cemetery, you will spot a small sign post to Carraig Fhada,, Light House and Singing Sands. Follow the sign post (turn left). You will come to a second cemetery and a gate. After going through the gate, continue driving the seashore dirt-track road. Keep to the shoreline, heading for the lighthouse, and you will see a house which is Carraig Fhada Farmhouse. Drive in front of the house and park at the end of the path in front of the wooden gate. Go through the two gates, the Little Cottage is in front of you.
Arriving at the Islay Airport ;
- Turn right to A846 to Port Ellen when you leave from the airport.
- Follow same route as above No. 2 and 3.
Arriving at Port Ellen;
- From the ferry go straight over the small roundabout and turn left at the old Port Ellen Hotel onto the Charlotte Street, A846 (you see the direction to Bowmore). Continue past the beach on your left side, then turn first left, at a sign post of Mull of OA on your right side just before the Diag e o maltings (large warehouse). Continue on this road (which becomes single track) and you will see the signpost to Mull of OA , where the road bends sharp left, after the woods on your left side.
- Then follow same directions of above No.3
Please ask the location at email@example.com